Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Great Question

What Does it mean to be Man Fully Alive?

I won't go to the internet for this one. Nor a book or any other person but myself. Because I don't believe that I will find my answer there. I think its already inside of me. Bear with me as I try to dig it out.

First, what does it mean to be alive. To be breathing? To have a heartbeat? I suppose. But wouldn't that make being fully alive just be fully breathing? that doesn't sound like much of a higher purpose. So no there has to be more to it than that. Something beyond the physical, something spiritual.

So what does it meant to be alive in a spiritual sense? I suppose that would mean that one's soul would have to be alive. But what makes a soul live? Can a soul even die? Even if a soul goes too hell, will it not still exist and therefore still be alive? By that definition, I suppose that a man in hell could technically be man fully alive. That can't be right.

There must be more to it for a soul to be "alive" than simply existing. It must be thriving. A man fully alive will have a thriving soul. So what makes a soul thrive? money? power? the highest things the material world has to offer? Plenty of horrible people have died with both of those things, but I would not consider their souls to be thriving. Many of them were not even happy. So I doubt that having a thriving soul has anything to do with material wealth.

So if not material wealth, what is it? I have to think back to people I consider to have been men fully alive. I think about the saints, the apostles, Mr. Cole, and I wonder what they all have in common. First of all they all loved God. They love God. I think there is more to it than that though, they all love God to the point where they want to do something about it. Some gave up their possessions, others their time, many gave up their old ways of life. I believe that these people are men fully alive. I believe that their soulds are thrivingg wiht joy. I believe that that joy comes from God, who is overjoyed by those who do his will.

So that's my answer. A man fully alive is someone who loves God, but also does everything in his power to prove it. He will not always be happy, but he will always be at peace knowing that one day he will enter into eternal satisfaction with God in heaven. That, is a man who is most fully alive.

Good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment